Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Purple potato why? (Read 21176 times)
01/28/03 at 09:52:40
Caemron   Guest

Why are "purple potatoes" blue is it becasue of iodine reacting with the starch in the potatos- like the basic science experiement we do in grade school?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02/20/03 at 03:11:21

fouts   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Learn something new every
day.
San Francisco

Anthocyanins are what that give purple potatoes their color. Not just purple potatoes get
their color from this flavenoid, Petunias and Pansies and berries get their color from it as well!

Anthocyanins are antioxidant flavonoids, and some scientists have demonstrated a number of potential health benefits from ingesting Anthocyanins.
Red cabbage anthocyanins have been shown to protect animals against oxidative stress from
the toxin paraquat.

Additional animal studies* confirm that cyanidin is four times more powerful an antioxidant
than vitamin E.6

So keep eating these potato wonders, they're good looking and good for you1 A side note, steaming or microwaving are still the best way to hold that color and keep it bright.

* Rice-Evans CA. The relative antioxidant activities of plant-derived polyphenolic flavonoids. Free Radical Res 1995 Apr;22(4):3785-93.

"A woman is like a tea bag; she never knows how strong she is until she's in hot water." && Eleanor Roosevelt
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/15/03 at 02:38:52
Khristine   Guest

This is pretty cool to know. Are other foods high in antioxidants too?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/23/10 at 03:31:21
mike ramsey   Ex Member

They come from Peru (and maybe other South American countries, too). You could try a well-stocked farmer's market in your area, or specialty grocery stores. I'd call ahead first, though, because I don't think purple potatoes are too common in the U.S.

They're purple because of the natural pigments in the skin, just like some potatoes are red and others are brown. The purple ones are pretty cool looking, though.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/17/10 at 05:47:54
romathon   Ex Member

I got some knowledges here... thanks

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 08/18/10 at 12:59:19
aimee2   Ex Member

They also have purple beans now. Not sure how much better they are for you but the color is interesting.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/18/10 at 19:48:10

celine   Offline
Welcome to Cooking!

great!! seem another trivia I've got in here...thanks fouts...

celine&&<a href="http://www.harley-handlebars.com/">harley davidson handlebars</a>&&<a href=" http://www.rareearthjewelry.com ">silver jewelry </a>
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 08/26/10 at 11:55:47
niceday   Ex Member

What is anthocyanin, so that their color purple potatoes. Not only get the purple potatoes
Their color from the flavenoid, petunia and pansy, and get their berries from which the color!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 08/28/10 at 22:30:44

De Oro Farmer   Offline
Delicious Lobstah! Yumyumyum!

There are some here who just dont have the idea about it.

Apart from what others have just contributed I would say is that because purple potatoes contain the same antioxidants found in blueberries- anthocyanin which gives blueberries their blue color, this variety of potatoes do just the same. The color that anthocyanin takes is based upon the pH.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 08/31/10 at 02:28:48
julian   Ex Member

De Oro Farmer wrote on 08/28/10 at 22:30:44:
There are some here who just dont have the idea about it.

Apart from what others have just contributed I would say is that because purple potatoes contain the same antioxidants found in blueberries- anthocyanin which gives blueberries their blue color, this variety of potatoes do just the same. The color that anthocyanin takes is based upon the pH.

Exactly, the colour derives from the antioxidants

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 09/01/10 at 02:34:32
scarlet   Ex Member

Looks great for yam..LOLz

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 09/02/10 at 09:59:01

jovendigital   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Quote:
Exactly, the colour derives from the antioxidants

great contribution

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 09/03/10 at 02:31:21
scarlet   Ex Member

that was a nutrition info for purple potatoes;)The purple potatoes (I am assuming purple inside as well) also have some additional antioxidants. If they are purple on the outside only, not as much added benefit.
Grin

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 09/05/10 at 02:50:24

lozzyadams   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

Where I live you cannot buy purple potatoes anywhere, they seem like a speciality vegetable.

Tired of dull grey and black laptops? Then check out <a href="http://www.bluelaptop.info">blue laptop</a>
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 09/05/10 at 21:40:29

carpet cleaner   Offline
Welcome to Cooking!

try this

<a href="http://www.steemercarpetcleaners.com/">carpet cleaner</a>&&&&<a href="http://www.steemercarpetcleaners.com/tile_and_grout_cleaning.html/">Tile and grout cleaning
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2