Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Cake rises then falls!! (Read 10850 times)
04/24/03 at 03:49:41
Cookie2002   Guest

Hi!
I've been baking cakes for some time now. Last year someone gave this product to me- a gel for improving the sponge quality of the cake. Initially it worked great...the sponge was softer and the cakes rose evenly. Previously some of them used to rise like a pyramid!!
Anyhow, now there is a problem. Some of the cakes rise and stay that way, while some of them fall after a while. What could be the problem??
I use a very small amount of the emulsifier or gel....less than 1/4th of  a tsp. Someone plz. help me!!

Thanks, Cookie

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/06/03 at 03:37:49
inquisitive_cooks   Ex Member

Here are some things to consider:

Check to see if your recipe calls for too much baking powder or baking soda according to the following guidelines.  Generally 1 teaspoon of baking powder will leaven 1 cup of flour (or if the cake contains extra ingredients like nuts, chocolate chips etc that add weight, use 2 teaspoons of baking powder per cup flour).    And 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda plus 1/2 cup of an acidic ingredient (such as sour milk, yogurt, etc)  will also leaven 1 cup of flour.

Often, recipes contain more of these leavening agents than is really needed so the cake over-inflates - then falls, just like a balloon blown too high will pop.

Cakes can also fall if they're not quite cooked in the center when you remove them from the oven. Insert a cake tester or skewer just off-center in the cake - if it comes out clean the cake is done. Residual heat will continue cooking it through to the center before it starts to cool.

If a cake rises like a pyramid in the center, it's usually because the oven temperature is too high. Then, the outside edges become firm as they cook first. The leavens continue to give off carbon dioxide in the unbaked batter, so the inside of the cake which is the last to bake, rises into that pyramid.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/06/03 at 04:50:39
cookie2002   Ex Member

Thanks for your reply.

Actually i went about 'tinkering' with the recipe because I could make the cake well witht the original recipe but the trouble took place when I needed a cake double the original size. So there was something wrong witht he proportions...turns out I was putting too much milk!!

Thanks,
Cookie.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/23/10 at 03:33:05
mike ramsey   Ex Member

There are several different reasons why a cake may fall. They include:

Too much leavening
Too much sugar
Too much shortening
Too slow an oven
Insufficient baking

To guard against these common reasons of failure, be sure to measure ingredients accurately, verify the oven temperature is correct by using an oven thermometer and bake cake to the time listed in the recipe.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/01/10 at 10:33:29

WannabeChef   Offline
MmmmMmm food
Beijing

inquisitive_cooks, great reply!

Very interesting.
I love baking cakes.
But I never had one rise like a piramid yet.
Makes me hungry.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 08/02/10 at 09:25:19
Ibiz Clicks   Ex Member

Wow. This is a really interesting topic.

I'm addicted to cakes. Actually i really love to bake but baking doesnt like me.  Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/02/10 at 20:24:22
trial3   Ex Member

actually i don't have any idea

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 08/07/10 at 22:14:09
jonifunker   Ex Member

hmmmm maybe the way you're cooking was wrong,,

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 08/17/10 at 05:38:35
romathon   Ex Member

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 08/28/10 at 23:36:08

De Oro Farmer   Offline
Delicious Lobstah! Yumyumyum!

Temperature is actually a major factor. Cakes fall when cooked at a temperature which is too low, or when it is too high. Make sure that the oven is preheated all the way before inserting the cake pan. You may also want to use an oven thermometer to ensure that the oven is at the proper temperature.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 08/31/10 at 02:22:26
julian   Ex Member

Try to check the temperature

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 10/02/11 at 05:30:22
visionquest   Ex Member

Make sure to use self rising flour as this will determine how much your cake will rise. That is of course if the self raising flour is the right type for your cake.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1