Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
best tip from cooking show (Read 49054 times)
05/26/07 at 09:54:47
late bloomer cook   Ex Member

The best tip I have ever used from a cooking show is a tip from Michael Smith, Chef at Large and Chef at Home.

"Freeze ginger". 

It really works.  Frozen ginger is a breeze to grate.  It grates quickly and dryly (no strings or wasted juice) and it is easy to measure if one likes that sort of exactness. 

The grated ginger also just melts into any dish you are putting it into adding fabulous flavour and intensity without chunks.

I now buy ginger in bulk and keep it in my freezer.  No more dried out wrinkled ends in my vegetable drawer that I have forgotten about!!!

What are some tips that have worked well for y'all out there?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/28/07 at 05:55:12
Luc_H   Ex Member

Hi Late Bloomer Cook,

I have so many tricks, I could probably have my own cooking show....

One trick that I learned myself and friends and family have all started to do is to freeze lemons and limes.  In Montreal, Canada, citrus fruits are not always cheap but when they get on sale, I buy in bulk and freeze them as is. 
When limes and lemons thaw they release lots of juice (their zest is useless though).
Why this works: when water freezes it expands.  When the water in the fruit expands it ruptures the juice sacks so that when they thaw the fruit cannot hold its juice anymore.

1/2 lime in 1 liter of cold water (4 cups) is a great thirst quencher.

Freezing overripe bananas as is also a good trick.  Cut the end off a thawed banana and squeeze out the pulp like toothpaste to make banana bread or muffins.

Luc H

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/19/07 at 04:04:13
LearnAboutLaw   Ex Member

Martha Stewart gave me this one. I make a lot of alfredo, and egg yolks take it to the next level. To keep 2 or 3 egg yolks at the ready for that last moment of making the alfredo (or any other dish) just crack open the eggs across the middle. Then, dump the yolks back and forth until you've "yolked" them by separating the whites.

Here's the trick: take the 1/2 eggshell and put it in a small bowl with about 1/2 inch of salt at the bottom. The salt will hold the yolk in their eggshells. You can even present them on the table that way for folks to mix their own alfredo a la Molto Mario...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 12/30/09 at 22:57:31
yamada   Ex Member

Thanks for the tips.
Learnt a lot! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/23/10 at 20:17:52

simple Ng   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

i love to watch michael ray cooking show..

<a href="http://itshumour.blogspot.com/2009/09/top-10-hilarious-quotes.html">hilarious quotes</a>&&
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 02/13/10 at 12:23:38
Abby   Ex Member

great tip thanks for sharing. I my self have learned tip from mr. legase

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 09/16/10 at 04:52:27
Drew Belmore   Ex Member

30 minutes meals will provide you more interesting tips.

Hold your eyes on to the show.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 09/29/10 at 03:00:10
WoWBe   Ex Member

Very nice tips   Sad

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 11/09/10 at 07:30:08

rhandy   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

Thanks for the tips.
Learnt a lot!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 11/10/10 at 05:11:38
eduis   Ex Member

my thanks goes to you for this useful information and tips, I really appreciate it

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 11/17/10 at 22:58:33
waldo   Ex Member

Thanks guys, and who said watching too much TV is bad for you. Look at all the great stuff we learn.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 11/17/10 at 23:21:39

rosemaryeileen   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

Happy to find this tips. Its a very useful post for me, as it contains lot of information.Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 11/20/10 at 00:53:45
barros   Ex Member

Thanks for the tips.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 09/13/11 at 09:47:26
MrDelicious   Ex Member

If you crack an egg into a bowl and some shell gets in the bowl, use one of the half-shells still in your hands to access and scoop out the little piece. Way better than using your fingers, a fork, a spoon or anything else. They almost attract each other like a magnet for some reason.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 11/26/11 at 19:10:04
sistEmessPA   Ex Member

Hello. And Bye.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2