Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
splenda vs sugar (Read 54067 times)
Reply #15 - 01/08/10 at 07:44:19
wheelman   Ex Member

I always use Stevia and NOT splenda as Splenda has some very bad reports and is not good for you. Stevia is a natural sweetener.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 01/09/10 at 12:37:04

bobby hinder   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Time to get cookin!

oh god STEVIA is the worst - yeah its natural but it tastes reallllly weird..i stick to Twin or Spenda when dieting down.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 01/14/10 at 10:05:53
Thom01   Ex Member

Quote:
These sugar substitutes can be carcinogenic and also cause other health issues.

I agree with jodevizes. There is more to read about this at the following link if anyone is interested. Sorry, you'll have to cut and paste the link:

Sugar substitutes and the potential danger of Splenda
at: womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

As long as you don't eat sugar products on a regular basis, a little sugar here and there shouldn't hurt you.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 01/14/10 at 18:20:25
lynnbe   Ex Member

I totally agree with what everyone is saying about how bad splenda is for you.

Here's a good rule of thumb for knowing if something is actually "food" that the body can metabolize and not turn into a toxin in your body.

First, is the substance made from a whole food and not some chemical cooked up in some lab somewhere? I"m afraid all the artificial sweeteners all fail the whole food test. Yes, stevia is better, it's a leaf of an actual plant. I grow a stevia plant myself in my greehouse. Although they do process it somewhat to make it a more pourable product.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 01/15/10 at 00:18:03
eirellav   Ex Member

Hello guys.

I know it's kinda shameful to know but honestly, for a long a period of time that I am making cookies for my friends and family, I never knew about that thing "SPLENDA".
What is that?
Is it a flavoring or preservative or whatever?

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 01/15/10 at 11:37:44
Los Angeles Locksmith   Ex Member

There has been a quite a lot of diffrence when baking with spenda as oppose to sugar. Infact the food has been more soft and as far as cake is concerned its more fluffed. Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 01/15/10 at 14:26:18
Chris L   Ex Member

Quote:
I know it's kinda shameful to know but honestly, for a long a period of time that I am making cookies for my friends and family, I never knew about that thing "SPLENDA".
What is that?
Is it a flavoring or preservative or whatever?

Splenda is artificial sugar.  It's what you get in the pink packets when you're in a coffee shop if you decide to use the artificial sweetener instead of real sugar.  It's calorie-free and is way healthier than regular sugar, but it has a different taste than normal sugar does.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 01/19/10 at 10:44:28
Donata   Ex Member

I'll qualify this by saying I am guilty of using both saccharine and splenda (although never nutrasweet) as artificial sweeteners.  And although I have used stevia (and once I got used to the taste it wasn't bad), it's a whole lot more expensive at the moment, or I'd use it more.

Anyway, anything artificial like these sweeteners cannot be good for your body.  And in fact can be pretty bad for it.  So first off, moderation is the key.

I know -- we eat the low calorie or low fat foods and we get an artificial sweetener instead of sugar.  There are so many labels to read and so little time.

My own personal rule is this:  if something contains HFCS on the label, I don't buy it.  If it contains sugar, how much?  And the same question goes for artificial sweeteners; how much is in the product.

Sugar isn't necessarily the enemy; too much sugar (or artificial sweetener) isn't good any way you look at it.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 01/29/10 at 19:13:53
Funlover   Ex Member

I personally like the taste of Splenda best.  I also understand that it is better for you than Equal or the pink stuff (which taste terrible!).  I definitely avoid HFCS at all costs and don't understand why it is included in almost anything you buy today.  I've tried Stevia but don't care for the strong after taste.  I guess my favorite natural alternative is this product called "Truvia".  It has a nice, light flavor and is excellent on fresh berries and fruit.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 01/31/10 at 14:08:28

Ed Fahey   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Let's Cook!

I am quite a sugar junkie so have not tried Splenda or Stevia in baking yet. Sounds quite interesting. Perhaps I missed this in one of the earlier comments but has anyone seen any difference in how the finished products "look" after using either of these substitutes?

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 01/31/10 at 16:42:10
Abby   Ex Member

I use splenda in my coffee, but thats it. 2 packs no more...

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 02/08/10 at 08:12:01
markel cook   Ex Member

I like splenda over sugar especially when I'm doing the low carb diet regime.  Actually, Splenda usually contains 95% dextrose and maltodextrin which the body readily metabolizes, combined with a small amount of indigestible sucralose. 

There have been some sites knocking splenda claiming it causes toxicity.  Some people have a bad reaction to it.  It's been around snce 1999 so no long term studies have been done except ppl reporting from personal experience. .

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 02/08/10 at 16:22:45

topchef   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

I end up discussing sugar substitutes more often than I like with many of my patients.  if people won't discontinue the sugary taste, I simply ask them to go back to a cane sugar cola, or even high fructose corn syrup.

I truly look at it as a rob peter to pay paul scenario, as splenda is nothing but chlorinated sugar, and nobody truly knows what it's doing to your physiology.

Aspartame is a perfect example, as many people have no clue that before it was branded as a sweetener, it had been manufactured as neurotoxin for warfare.  In very dilute amounts they found it to be sweet, so they made it a product.

The less refined you can keep your food the better.  Whenever I watch any of the popular shows, Top Chef all the way to Gordon Ramsey, they all go simple with no chemical junk.

Now the chemical gastronomy is interesting, but you won't find that situation with every day foods.

Stay natural, use natural sugar, honey

Cheesy or stevia...and if anyone has any other suggestions for natural sweeteners I'd love to hear about them.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 02/09/10 at 02:31:00
macandmacinteriors   Ex Member

I hear that splenda is really bad for you, as it gives your body the impression that it is going to have sugar but without the boost and suger high, so your body craves it instead and you go and find something to eat that has it in. making the whole splenda thing pointless, is this right????? Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 02/19/10 at 08:36:08
Chris I   Ex Member

Truvia ia actually made from stevia. I think it is just a brand name of a stevia product.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6