Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Peeling a Cold Hard-Boiled Egg (Read 3119 times)
01/01/10 at 23:18:30

martinr111   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

I hard-boil a large number of eggs at a time and store them in the refrigerator. But peeling the shell off cold hard-boiled eggs is very, very tricky, so I tend to peel them while they are warm. But I would prefer to store them with the shell on, and peel them later. There must be a trick that I'm not aware of....

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/01/10 at 23:35:59

AngelaE7777   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

I know a GREAT trick for that.  What I do is boil the eggs, then dip them out of the pan and spoon them (with shell intact) into a bowl.  I put that bowl into the refrigerator.  When the eggs are completely cold, the shell almost falls off once it's cracked.  Works beautifully.  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/02/10 at 00:45:48
Ricken   Ex Member

I am a caterer and the way we shell a hard boiled egg is to gently but firmly roll it with the palm of your hand on a hard surface thereby crushing the shell. It will just lift off leaving a perfect egg.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/02/10 at 10:28:50
deSita   Ex Member

ty to roll the egg on a hard surface until the shell is completely cracked and crazed, then peel off shell under running water...

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/02/10 at 18:18:47
Kenneth Lee   Ex Member

Wow! Didn't know about this simple trick before. I guess the only downside is that the eggs will turn cold!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/03/10 at 11:38:21

Chippy   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

I use the same method, as in, rolling the egg with the palm of the hand on a hard surface, the thing to remember is to cool them down as quick as you possibly can, ie place in a bowl with cold water running on them for a few minutes before placing them in the fridge. The shells will then just slide off once crazed.
Chippy.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/03/10 at 14:40:17
luv2snack   Ex Member

You can also crack the shell by rolling it so it has little cracks in it and find a piece of the film underneath and run water so it goes underneath. That usually works for me.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/05/10 at 09:25:46
creamcake   Ex Member

I have to agree with rolling the egg, I have been doing this for years now and it works every time. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/05/10 at 11:00:52
Epidemiologist   Ex Member

Yeah, I find that putting the egg on a countertop and rolling will help develop cracks which makes it easier to peel. I swear, they should invent some kind of device to make the process easier!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/06/10 at 16:51:20
Rob   Ex Member

One technique I've come across is..

- Put the hard boiled egg in the microwave.

- Zap the egg for about 20 seconds. The slight microwave energy will cause the membrane under the shell to lift easily from the egg surface.

-Remove the egg and peel it. It will be easy.

You have to be very careful not to zap the egg for too long, there have been some reports of exploding eggs - even after taking them out of the microwave, so give them a wide berth for a minute before peeling..hope that helps someone

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 01/06/10 at 19:56:02
jenna99   Ex Member

I always add a bit of salt to the water and it makes the shell come off easily. It you don't, the shells will be more likely to stick to the egg white and damage the look of the egg when you peel the shell.

Or, if you add about a tablespoon of baking soda to the water while is it still cold, it raises the pH level, helping the shells come off. You still need to soak them in cold water after boiling

Both methods work great for me!

Jen

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 01/25/10 at 08:56:21
kjkj8444   Ex Member

i use salt inthe water as well and it comes off very easily after that

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 01/26/10 at 10:31:53
bill-davis-it-expert   Ex Member

Getting the shell off a hard-boiled egg requires two things: First, the way you boil it. Here's how I do it.

Put eggs in pot full of lukewarm water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, boil for 10-11 minutes. Remove immediately, place into bowl. Run cold water into bowl until full. Wait 5-10 minutes, dump water, run cool water into bowl again. Remove all water, place in refrigerator.

Now, the peeling. Like everybody else says, I crack them on a hard surface, then roll them on hard surface with my palm. THEN, I attempt to peel them under warm running water.

That's it. Works like a charm.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 01/28/10 at 21:41:41

SuzanneH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

Quote:
I always add a bit of salt to the water and it makes the shell come off easily. It you don't, the shells will be more likely to stick to the egg white and damage the look of the egg when you peel the shell.

Or, if you add about a tablespoon of baking soda to the water while is it still cold, it raises the pH level, helping the shells come off. You still need to soak them in cold water after boiling

This sounds doable. My trick is to peel it from the center, separating the egg shell into northern and southern atmosphere... so they can come off easily with a bit of moisture.

<a href="http://www.homeopathicyeastinfectionrelief.com">Yeast Infection Relief</a>&&&&<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7KH0__q16g">Homeopathic Yeast Infection Relief Diet video</a>
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 01/29/10 at 15:02:08

kiwi-gourmet   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

Hi there FrankM1150,
Wow, I will try this. I have found the only boiled eggs that are hard to peel are those which are really fresh, so I usually just poach them and use older eggs if I want them boiled.
Thanks for the tip.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4