Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Uses of Coca Cola and Coffee in cooking (Read 45795 times)
01/25/10 at 23:36:04
Huckleberryexpress   Ex Member

Hello all, I just thought I would pass along a few tips I have picked up over the years. I have found that using coke to marinate your meat selection will tenderize it. I am not sure if anybody has covered this, but I did not find it in a search. I think the time to let the meat sit is not over 2 hours. Any longer and you run the risk of melting it away completely. Grin

The next tip I got was a total surprise to me. I had a friend who used coffee in his pasta and rice dishes and in particular his jambalaya that he made like the way his grandma did. He brews the coffee, then adds about a cup of black coffee to the pot. He uses a fairly large pot, a small 2-4 serving size would be to strong. It really brings out the flavor and adds a zing to it. Sounds crazy, but it really works.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/28/10 at 01:12:03
Noodles   Ex Member

Can't say I've seen coke used in recipes, but my wife makes mean lemonade scones.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/28/10 at 07:53:54

I have to say I have never heard of that but it sounds good...

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/28/10 at 21:48:31

SuzanneH   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

Using coffee? Never heard of it.

But I would definitely like to try cooking with coke as the acidity will work to tenderize the meat. If you are health conscious, try replacing coke with stout, which is made from malt.

Come to think of it, beer may work as well.... maybe someone should try it and report back.

<a href="http://www.homeopathicyeastinfectionrelief.com">Yeast Infection Relief</a>&&&&<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7KH0__q16g">Homeopathic Yeast Infection Relief Diet video</a>
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/28/10 at 23:35:36

Yes it is wild. I think my friend only used the coffee in the jambalaya. The taste is hard to describe, but it added some zing to an already spicy dish.
Covering the meat with coke to tenderize works actually well. You just have to watch your timer well. This is the regular coke and not diet.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/30/10 at 13:02:37
Daniel Sam   Ex Member

Using cola in these recipes sounds pretty interesting, although i always try and stay away from foods with high fructose corn syrup...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/30/10 at 13:58:39
Rifleman   Ex Member

Very interesting. I've never heard of somebody using Coffee or Coke in preparing food.

The only soda I've ever heard of being used with food is Sprite in making chicken in a dutch oven. It is very tasty.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/30/10 at 22:10:39

I understand about the fructose, some may need an alternative. I know that the syrup used to make coke is actually hazmat, I have hauled it on my semi and it is considered hazardous in it's syrup or concentrate form is an acid like Suzanne has pointed out already, requiring placards to haul over 1000 pounds of it. True story, maybe that is why it will tenderize the meat? Or melt it away if left too long...

I think the sprite would just the right zing, especially in dutch oven chicken which is already a favorite way for me to cook. I have a heckuva cast iron collection. Several old original pieces, one dating back to pre 1840 , a pot with a wrought iron bale.
I love cornbread and muffins made in the old cast, a flavor that you cannot beat. The browning that goes along with the cast is hard to match. If I keep going on the cast iron, I may need to make a new thread..

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/31/10 at 02:21:11
gheryiesan   Ex Member

oh..this is new in me, sounds great, I love drinking cola, and I was amaze that this can also be use in cooking..i'll better try that one..

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02/01/10 at 12:43:10
lagoni   Ex Member

Hi... I've used coke for marinating Chicken and tastes really nice. You can and a bit of ketchup and other spices.

It is really delicious Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 02/01/10 at 13:13:26

Wayne Allen   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

I'll be honest and admit I never thought of using Coke before as a tenderizer. I have cooked with beer before and it turned out great. I will use Coke and report back on my out come.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 02/01/10 at 14:26:06
Abby   Ex Member

Coke as a tenderizer, never though that could work. I'm give it a try.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 02/01/10 at 20:08:09

Give it a go, it really does work. Just watch the time you soak the meat and keep track of what time period works well for what thickness of steak etc.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 02/01/10 at 23:00:37
Shawn   Ex Member

I heard that Coke has "bleaching" power. That explains why meat or chicken becomes tender..IMHO Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 02/02/10 at 06:02:17

twellington   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

Coca Cola definitely has the ability to tenderise meat, I use it all the time with a gammon joint, it's incredible. A word of warning, don't use anything other than full fat coca cola, any other versions or brands will give you really lack-lustre results.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4