Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Ways to Preserve Food (Read 86706 times)
02/17/10 at 16:00:26
edwardsjoe   Ex Member

Just taking a nutrition class and I'm learning about the science behind preserving food.

What are some of the methods that you use?

I salt and dehydrate my foods to prevent bacterial growth if I want them to be stored for a longer period of time.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02/17/10 at 22:56:47
JonP   Ex Member

I vacuum seal everything I want to preserve.  The only drawback is vacuum sealing takes a little time and I have to always buy the plastic for the machine.

I saw one of those infomercials about the tupperware-type dishes that keep fruit & veggies fresh.  I don't remember the product name but has anybody actually tried them?  Do they work?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 02/19/10 at 06:50:39
Jane Ylod   Ex Member

In my case, I usually salt the meat before cooking it, but I am also a big fan of freezing all sort of vegetables and fruit. Do you have any good advise to improve my skills? Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 02/19/10 at 22:22:59

lhavisleir   Offline
YaBB Newbies
Welcome to Cooking!

I dont usually preserve food, but it seems that this is a good thing to do to save and conserve....

I love antique appliances and also like the Custom Maine Made Wood Furniture, Home and Garden Accessories than other home equipments.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 02/20/10 at 06:40:24
ryan exin   Ex Member

As I have just seen from my mom on how she preserved the food..she just simply put into a freezer then when shes was going cook it. she has to marinate the meats/chickens, so it has a very good taste when it cooked..

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 02/20/10 at 11:08:56
computermatter10   Ex Member

I learned this from my wife...and would like to share it to you...
As far as I know, preserving foods are not good to human health but until such time my wife told me the science and health in preserving foods..Marinating is one of the best preservations cause it can't only last the food for how many days but it can give tasty and savory foods/meats however, marinating should be done in natural way, do not ever use salitre salt cause it can harm you eventually. Salitre can cause cancer, It can enliven the cancer cells. Thus, avoid using salitre salt in marinating meats.

Frank Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 02/23/10 at 11:01:26
businesstogooglemaps   Ex Member

nice tip..this really helpful coz sometimes i need to keep my food longer for i'm always traveling. thanks a lot ! +karma : Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/24/10 at 01:36:03
zapp4u   Ex Member

I need to learn more about how to preserve foods, I seem to waste so much. Huh

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 02/24/10 at 06:06:20
Chef Todd Mohr   Ex Member

What types of foods does everyone need to preserve?

I'd suggest studying correct portioning for your cooking so there isn't so much waste.

In my opinion, you're better off investing in a good digital scale and knowing the exact weights of the portions you need to prepare, rather than a vacuum packer.

The original question was about preserving nutrition.  The best way to do this is to buy your items at the local farmers market and eat them within a few days.

The most highly nutritious food comes from less than 50 miles from your house.  If it's shipped from Chile, it's been waxed, irratiated, gassed, or packaged before ripe.

Beside the peach tree in my yard that puts out a years' worth of peaches in one month, I have no need to preserve anything.  (I freeze the peaches after pitting them in a citric acid solution to retain color and texture)

Eat it, don't preserve it.  That's the way to best nutrition.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02/24/10 at 17:34:42
Abby   Ex Member

I vaccum seal, usually meat.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 02/25/10 at 00:25:30
zapp4u   Ex Member

I seem to waste so much food but this post is helping me save my food Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 02/27/10 at 08:11:47
computermatter10   Ex Member

For wives out there, try to make things possible to save and conserve foods..preserve foods as much as it requires.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 03/04/10 at 16:19:57
jason1120   Ex Member

Quote:
I learned this from my wife...and would like to share it to you...
As far as I know, preserving foods are not good to human health but until such time my wife told me the science and health in preserving foods..Marinating is one of the best preservations cause it can't only last the food for how many days but it can give tasty and savory foods/meats however, marinating should be done in natural way, do not ever use salitre salt cause it can harm you eventually. Salitre can cause cancer, It can enliven the cancer cells. Thus, avoid using salitre salt in marinating meats.

Frank Roll Eyes

Thanks for sharing this Frank. I try to make fresh food everytime and finish it all, so i don't have to preserve anything for later. But not always the case, so its good to learn these tricks.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 03/17/10 at 01:29:26
cherry325   Ex Member

However, the fun and simple recipe we do with the kids is to make chocolate chip cookies - let them cool and then scoop our favorite ice cream and make nice "ice cream cookie sandwiches".

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 04/25/10 at 08:37:41

kathyk   Offline
Welcome to Cooking!

I freeze some things and dehydarte some others. Marinating does work for meats that you freeze but they only taste good for so long. I even freeze some bread so it last longer. I take some out and thaw it for the next few days and keep rest in freezer.

<a href="http://cheapdsl.tblog.com/post/1969904451">cheap dsl.</a><a href="http://phoneservice.tblog.com/post/1970059675">phone service.</a><a href="http://phoneservice.tblog.com/post/1970101160">T1</a>
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3